Don’t worry too much about it! Part of being on a team is getting better through practices and meets, so even if you aren’t in tip-top shape at the beginning of the season, you’ll see yourself improve as the weeks go by!
Here are some general tips that helped me when I ran cross country! (Take everything I say with a grain of salt- these are the things that worked for me, not necessarily everyone else.)
- Run hill repeats. Find a steep-ass hill and run up it…over and over again. It doesn’t really matter how fast you go, as long as you KEEP GOING. It’s important to push yourself, because part of running is learning how to put up with tired legs and sore muscles!
- Fartlek/interval training. Basically during your run, jog for 5 minutes, then sprint for 15 seconds. After your sprint, go right back into jogging. Repeat this until you reach 30 minutes. (You can break up the intervals however you want, really.)
- Strides. These can be done before/after your run. Mark out 100meters or so and sprint it. Jog back to where you started, and do it again until you reach 4 to 5 times. (This helps with speed at the beginning of races.)
- Strength training. You’ll need to build up those muscles in your legs! I suggest this POP Pilates video for calves and thighs.
- CORE. The fastest runners have insanely strong core muscles. This means you not only need to build muscle in your legs, but also your core, or “abs”.
- Arms. Strong arms also benefit runners. Start doing push-ups and other exercises to build that upper-body strength!
March 6, 2014 Workout
Just another 2 miles today. Felt a lot stronger than I did yesterday, even though I’m soooo sore today. I missed that feeling though!
Workout Videos I Did:
Slowly but surely easing back into this :) Ignore my face in the picture, I was still catching my breath haha.
seriously considering moving out
and paying for all my shit from now on
i don’t want to owe my parents anything anymore
Awe, thank you for being so supportive!
Thank you for also recognizing that there is a difference between being slim and healthy. :)
March 5th, 2014 Workout
I went for a nice, easy jog tonight and was really just focusing on my form, breathing, and pacing, seeing that I haven’t run in awhile! I’ll definitely be happy when my boobs get a little smaller, since just those 2 miles hurt my back!
Some music from my playlist: (click for YouTube link!)
YouTube Fitness Videos I did after my run:
Real Talk: What I’ve Been Doing, And Why I’ve Been Doing It
So I know I’ve been extremely MIA recently, and although I’ve posted here and there, I haven’t really given a life-update in awhile.
Today I went for a run for the first time in…a really long time. And now I am seeing how my lack of dedication to fitness and healthy eating is affecting my body. And I really, really don’t like it.
I’ve always been lucky in that if I didn’t work out for awhile, or ate really unhealthily for a period of time, I wouldn’t see much change in my body. But I think now that my metabolism is slowing down a bit, and my body is becoming more ~womanly~, I can’t really get away with it.
I can’t exactly pinpoint the moment where I literally stopped caring about my health, but I recognize that I’ve accumulated some horrible tendencies lately that need to go. One of the worst things is that I drink soda regularly now. That is so unlike me, so it probably won’t be hard to kick that habit.
I’m not going to give a long speech about how TODAY IS THE DAY I’M GETTING BACK ON THE WAGON or any bullshit like that, because I know that’s not going to happen in one day. It’s going to be a slow process of introducing healthy habits back into my life, and slowly eliminating the toxic habits that I’ve picked up over the past few months.
From this point on, I’ll be sharing the good and the bad with you all, and I plan on following lots of new blogs for encouragement and motivation! I love reading about your guys’ journeys!
(It took a lot of guts to post that last picture, so please be kind. And yes, that was a pun.)
Hmmm, I know for sure I’ve ran 11 miles straight before! But I bet I’ve ran farther than that during XC practice, which I don’t record, so I’m not positive! :)
charlotte baby picture spam because i just made my NCL slideshow haha
i can’t wait to move out and finally be able to
and start my life, not my moms, not my dads, mine
home is where your heart is,
and this is nothing more than a house
100 days until graduation
I’m sorry that i have no energy and I’m sorry I’m depressed and can’t sleep at night and I’m sorry that when I do fall asleep I sleep until 3 and I’m sorry I’m no fun to be around and I’m sorry I’m so insecure and can’t eat the same food you do and im sorry I’m going no where in life and have no reason to even wake up.